Connecting from Windows with IPsec / L2TP
For Windows we recommend to use SoftEther VPN Client
Note: to use this software you need a VPN account. Register & request here
For this tutorial we used Windows 7 screens. Note that other versions of Windows are a little different.
1. Right click the bottom right network icon and select "Open Network and Sharing Center"
2. On the "Network and Sharing Center" select "Set up a new connection or network"
3. Select the "Connect to a workplace" option
4. Select "Use my Internet connection (VPN)"
5. On this step you need to get the IP or Host of the VPN server that you want to use. You can find the IP / Host in the OpenVPN configuration files (open the config with any text editor and search for the "remote" field)
In the "Destination name" field you can name your VPN connection.
Check the "Don't connect now" field at the bottom
6. Type the username and password received by e-mail and check the "Remember this password" field.
7. DO NOT connect now! Click the "Close" button instead. We have a little more configuration to do :)
8. Go to the "Network and Sharing Center" (step 1) and select "Change adapter settings" from the left menu.
9. Right click on your new VPN connection and select "Properties"
10. Switch to the "Security" tab. On the "Type of VPN" choose "Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPSec)" and click on "Advanced settings"
11. Select "Use preshared key for authentication" and type the IPsec/L2TP key received by e-mail on the "Key" field.
12. Now double-click the new VPN connection and click "Connect"!
You should now be connected to the VPN server. To check go to the IP Whois page.
If you encounter problems please ask for support on our Forum.